Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fireflies

I wrote this when I was freshman in high school.
It has NOTHING to do with the song, "Fireflies" by Owl City (LOVE them!!). This poem is about a memory I had when my family and I would go to Ohio to visit my grandparents. At night there were fireflies everywhere in the backyard. I remember catching them with my brother and sister, bringing them inside the house, and turning the lights off. I missed those days when writing the poem. When we all got along, and things weren't hard. At the time, my family life was getting a little crazy.

I like this poem, even if it sounds kind of funny. So I thought I might as well post it. :)


Fireflies, fireflies why the reminiscing glow?
That burns the awakening of such passion flow
Of the way things used to be
When you and I were young, wild, and full of glee

Hypnotizing flashes every warm summer night
Danced the beauty of your glow that held my gaze so tight
Why do you now bring envy for the way things used to be?
Because everything is different now, it comes with a fee.

The fiery yellow light never seems to bend
When it shows the way good things always have to end
"Remember the good old day?"
"When the glow of my wing tempted you to come and play?"

Fireflies, Fireflies, you are that reminiscing glow
Reminding you and I of the good old summer nights ever so slow
Before me my recollecting past lies
All because of the glowing reminder of the fireflies

1 comment: